High School Mock Trial Competition
The Most Hands-on, Intensive Learning Simulation About The Trial Process
The Florida High School Mock Trial Competition is an academic competition in which a team of 6-8 students simulate the roles of both attorneys and witnesses in a fictional trial situation. Students have approximately five months to prepare for their roles.
Case materials, questions and answers, and other resources are posted on-line by FLREA, Inc. Students compete against other teams in their judicial circuit, and the winner of that competition comes to the state competition which is typically held in March at the Orange County Courthouse. Some circuit competitions are organized by local contacts. FLREA organizes remaining circuits which operate without local coordinators. This is the most hands-on, intensive learning simulation about the trial process available to high school students. For additional details, please contact Erin Watson at email@example.com.
Date: March 23rd – March 25th, 2017
Location: Orange County Courthouse, 425 N. Orange Avenue, Orlando, FL 32801
Case Materials and Rules
|2017 Mock Trial Case Packet - Version 1.3|
- The jury instructions were added.
- An edit was made to the charging document.
- An edit was made to the applicable statutes.
- Any reference to “tree nut(s)” was either modified to “peanut(s)” or had “peanut(s)” added.
- Stipulations 19 and 20 were added on page 11.
- Lines 30 and 32 on page 19 were edited.
- Lines 56-62 of the witness statement on page 20 were edited.
- The “24 Hour Clock” time changed for consistency on page 40.
- “Basement” was changed to “backyard” on page 40.
- The age was changed for consistency on page 46.
- “Four elements” was changed to “three elements” on page 56.
- A typo was corrected on page 15, line 66 and page 19, line 25.
- Clear plate was changed to black-rimmed plate on page 16, line 113, and page 29, line 92.
- An end quote was added on page 21, line 98.
- The state was changed to FL on page 42.
- The DOD symbol was corrected on page 51.
- The date of birth of the victim was changed to 5/22/1994 on pages 44, 45, 50, and 53.
- A reference to South Carolina on page 42, Exhibit C was changed to Florida.
|Helpful Hints For New Teams|
Below you will find previous years’ cases for your use. These resources may be put to good use as practice tools or educational materials.
The Florida Law Related Education Association, Inc. offers a wide variety of law related and civic education training opportunities. Contact Erin Watson at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your local training needs. Staff and consultants can help you design an effective training program at any grade level. National level training programs are available as well.